Friday, February 24, 2012

I Love What I Do

As I sit here in rehearsal, running through the entire show, throwing down on lines and doing what I can to tell a story and bring life to life, I realize that I love what I do. I don't think I would enjoy doing anything else. Are there lots of things that I could be doing at this moment? Tons, but none quite as enjoyable as finding truth and expressing true emotion. I don't express a lot of emotion in everyday life, so the expression of emotion through acting is most important for me in order to remain sane and whole.

Everyone needs some form of creative expression. The times I have been happiest in my life are the times when I have been engaged in some creative pursuit, be it acting, writing, music, etc. I think without creativity in our lives we lose sight of our humanity and our divine potential. Art is the act of creation, and I have found that it is easiest to feel close to the Creator when I am creating. I am better because of art and creativity. I'm not saying you're in danger of becoming a soulless automaton if you do nothing creative. But it can't hurt. If nothing else it will add a little flavor to your life.

Try it. You don't need to be an expert, you just need to enjoy doing it. The more you let the inner creator create, the happier you will be. Less stress. Less anger. Less confusion. More joy. More fun. More clarity. Art saves lives, and it saves mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment